Lately, I have craving food from my childhood. I have been watching YouTube a lot and browsing for recipes to make some of my favorites.
Yesterday evening I tried one of them called bakpao. It's a steam bread filled with black beans. This is my version. The original recipe called for mung bean. Since I don't have any of them, I substitute the black beans. You also can filled it with chicken, pork and coconut. This recipe doesn't call for any eggs or milk.
Tasted very good and reminded me of my childhood. Not bad for the first attempt !!
1 cup flour
1/8 cup sugar
1 tea spoon baking powder
1 tea spoon salt
2 tea spoon quick rise yeast
1 1/2 table spoon melted butter
1/2 cup warm water
1 cup black bean ( I cook my own black bean and always have it in the freezer )
1 cup water
1/4 cup sugar ( depend how sweet you want it )
Put all the ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth. Pour into a pot and bring to a boil and simmer until it thickens like a jam.
1. Preheat 2 liter boiled water in a big steamer pot and let it sit.
2. In a large bowl mix all the ingredients except water.
3. Add water little by little and mix it well.
4. Cover with a clean kitchen towel for about 45-1 hour.
5. Shape the dough into rolls and fill with 1 tablespoon black bean jam. Make 6 buns. Let them sit for about 15 minutes. Cut out small parchment paper to line the bottom of the roll to keep from sticking while steaming.
6. Steam the rolls in the steamer for about 15 minutes.
Enjoy while they are hot and re-heat in the microwave if you have leftovers.
Linking up :